The yarn I’m playing with pretty much reflects the weather we are having at the moment. Mostly grey with the occasional burst of sunshine. Waking up to morning after morning of wet starts is not terribly uplifting. Obviously Harvey and Riley don’t mind a bit of rain but it’s not what I had in mind for August thank you! I had quite enough trudging through mud last winter.
I’ve been sorting out my yarn yet again. It seems so much more under control now with a shelf to each yarn weight. Even M is impressed with my self constraint. I got nervous about my pure wool and moths since we have the windows open all year round, so I’ve bagged those up for now and plan to buy some more of the boxes that fit into these cabinets so that they are more protected.
I didn’t have as much t shirt yarn as I thought I had but I’m going to try and make something similar to J’s Asterix t shirt yarn rug for E’s university room bathroom. She’s in halls for the first year and will have her own bathroom, a far cry from my studying days I can tell you. I might try an oval one this time or just a plain old rectangular rug because stripes would be quite forgiving with the random t shirt yarn I’ve got left. In fact this might be my next ‘take to the caravan’ project since I’m not having much luck with my other crochet experiments.
I’ve dabbled with various patterns and cottons for a quick and easy summer top. I do like working with cotton in the summer but I can’t recall ever making a top that I’d actually want to wear. In fact the last one I made was a rather feminine affair and I guess I wanted the challenge of making it more than I wanted to wear the finished item. Well I’m older and wiser now and I’ve been trying to find a more geometric design to suit my taste. It hasn’t photographed well but those first few rows in a grey/denim recycled cotton (wish I’d kept the ball band!) show up as squares when held up to the light. It will need blocking to open it up a bit. It’s just two panels joined together to make a boat neck and I’m hoping it will be ready and wearable within a week! I might do something with the final rows to make a bit of a neckline. It’s supposed to be a complete beginners project (from a very old American magazine I bought in a charity shop) but it requires front and back post trebles so I’d say that was a confident beginners pattern!
If the cotton top works out nicely it will go very well with the new Birkenstocks M treated me to recently. Two pairs in one year is something of a record for me. I’m not usually quite so extravagant. My last pair, back in February or thereabouts was to replace a felt pair that Riley had got hold of that I’d owned for about eight years. I have two other sandal types that are pretty old too. These nubuck grey sandals have a white sole, and are from the softbed range. They are considerably more comfortable than my others, definitely comfy enough to spend a week walking round Madrid. (M has just read that it is hideously dangerous to try cycling there unless it’s a bank holiday or a Sunday!)
I’ve found a nice yarn shop that I’d like to visit in Madrid and they seem to stock quite a lot of cotton yarns. It’s so easy to get anything you like online these days that it does seem pointless buying yarn and having to cram it in a suitcase with a weight limit but I probably will buy a little cotton if it feels nice and has eco credentials.
The yarn I wound on my Amish winder yesterday was locally made and dyed in Barcelona. It’s a merino yarn and has a bit of a fuzz to it. I think that’s why it wasn’t the ideal match for The Crochet Project Antracita shawl pattern. I tried a bigger hook size for more drape but my gut feeling is that I will have to frog it and try another yarn for that pattern. That leaves me trying to find a suitable pattern for the Barcelona merino, something that requires serious warmth I think!
In amongst all this process of thinking, researching, dabbling and so on I needed something to work on that wasn’t going to give me a headache so I picked up the ripple blanket that I started goodness knows when. Riley must have thought I was snuggling under a finished blanket because he wanted in on the snuggling action. We had to compromise in the end with me ‘donating’ the part I’d finished hooking although this did make turning it for each row quite tricky.
We are going to squeeze in one last ‘escape’ to the caravan before our holiday. It feels slightly indulgent since I’ve got major work to do to make the house presentable for our house/dog sitters. We will only be gone for a long weekend this time though and the dogs will be staying at home so that we can do a little holiday shopping for M. He has a pattern of refusing to buy anything he needs for a trip to another climate, then makes a big fuss about being inadequately equipped. It’s a good job I learn from these mistakes even if he doesn’t. So this year I am insisting on a couple of pairs of new shorts, shirts and suitable footwear. I’ve also invested in a family document organiser! Woohoo! Yep they exist. Oh boy is M happy with this. He’s opened it up several times to familiarise himself with where the passports are, the health insurance cards, the boarding passes, the car park receipt, his prescriptions and the phrase book. No more scrabbling about in an A5 ziplock bag for a missing passport and holding up a hundred people! Not to mention blaming the three of us for the fact that his own passport was in the back pocket of his jeans all along!